Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"Coincidence", or "Jesus Pie"

Isn't it amazing how one little innocuous move can change everything?
Leaving a minute sooner, or later can change the world.

A recent example of this in my life is what happened on Ash Wednesday.

After work I decided to go to the big, huge, enormous, intimidating Methodist church that is about a mile from my apartment. After making a few wrong turns (This city is full of one-way streets that make absolutely no sense), I parked on the perimeter of the church campus and hesitantly began walking toward one of the dramatic stone buildings in front of me.

Along the path to the church, I asked two older women for assistance. "I just moved into town, and I've never been here before, will you please point me to the sanctuary?" I told them. It's amazing how this one act, this one call for help has shaped the events of the last week.

Through my acquaintance with these ladies, I not only met the judge who knows my mother, which I mentioned in this post, I also was introduced to the church's young adult minister, Jay.

The next day Jay invited me to become a part of a young adult devotion group that was beginning a Lenten study. I attended on Friday, and both the people I met there, and the material we are studying have already been a huge blessing in my life. It has made me feel slightly more at home in this city.

Monday I came home to find this on my front porch
Mmmm... Jesus Pie
Too bad it has about seventeen of the things I gave up for Lent in it... I grudgingly took it to work the next day for my coworkers' enjoyment. It took a lot of prayer and self-control.

So much self-control

I almost died.

I love Apple Pie.

This whole experience reminded me of a lesson I think we're taught over and over again; what we do has an affect on people. Every smile we give a passing stranger, every subtle action we commit, every word we speak, is absorbed by those around us. Whether we intend to or not, we influence those with whom we come into contact.

This last week has reminded me to always act with love, grace, and patience; both with those I know, and those who I have yet to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment