Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lent 2012- Let's get Primal!

Tomorrow marks the beginning of the Lenten season, a time repentance and reflection as we prepare our hearts for the celebration of Jesus' Resurrection. It has become traditional to "give up" something during Lent as a sign of penitence and preparation.

In the past I've given up soda, sweets, chocolate, junky foods, etc.

This year I'm going to go Paleo.

What is Paleo? It's a diet/lifestyle that cuts out pretty much everything that wasn't available to the hunter-gatherer peoples of the past. So you don't eat grains, processed anything, refined sugars, etc. But you eat lots and lots of meat, veggies, fruits, nuts, and roots like potatoes. It's also known as "Primal", and it's been catching attention and devoted adherents in the last several years. There seem to be an above average number of Paleo and Primal eaters in the Libertarian community, in particular.

The theory is that our bodies aren't biologically designed to eat the loads and loads of processed grains and sugars that now make up a huge part of our diets. I've read about, and talked to several people who stand by Paleo as an amazing way to get healthy. I've read accounts of people feeling more healthy over-all: they sleep better, have more energy during the day, and have had chronic health problems disappear after transitioning to the Paleo lifestyle.

In particular, I talked to the fabulous fellow KSFP alumna Gina, who lost 50 pounds last year going paleo. She recommended about a billion websites for me, rife with recipes, tips, and advice for transitioning into a more primal lifestyle.

After drastically cutting back the amount of sweets and sodas I consume over the past 7 months or so, I'm not terribly worried about that part of it. I don't crave sweets like I used to, and I don't snack nearly as much as I did before, either. My main concern right now is the cost. Pasta, rice, and processed foods are very cheap (Hey, thanks government subsidies that are distorting our economy and waistlines), and as I've mentioned at least a dozen times, I'm on a pretty tight budget for the next few years. Gina assures me that it's not as bad as it seems... I really hope she's right.

How is this a valid Lenten devotion?
Well, 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says this:
"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."


I believe one of the ways we can show God honor is to be good stewards of our bodies, including eating healthfully. I think jumping into Paleo in this season of reflection, repentance, and devotion will help provide me with an extra dose of will power and purpose. 


So tomorrow starts a new chapter. I'm committed to this lifestyle change for at least the next 40 days, hopefully I'll receive such a blessing of improved health that I'll want to commit to it longer-term; but until then, please be praying for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment