Monday, February 13, 2012

My Life-Long Battle

I have an affliction.

It's something I've struggled with as long as I can remember.

It has caused me ridicule; people have called me a freak, an abomination.

It's caused me to miss out on many opportunities. I used to make up stories to cover the truth about my problem. I'd concoct elaborate lies about it, weaving a deceptive web to get around the truth:

I HATE Peanut Butter.

The taste. The texture. The way it sticks to every surface in my mouth. Invades my nostrils and wont let go.

I used to tell people I was allergic to peanuts, just so they wouldn't make what they thought was just a picky little brat eat a revolting PB&J.

In reality I'm decidedly not a picky eater. I love most foods, and will try just about anything. I just do not like peanut butter even a little bit.

It's a pity, really. PB is cheap, pretty nutritious, and very filling. Being able to tolerate it every once in a while would make my life significantly easier. No more avoiding boyfran after he's eaten a PB&J, no more telling people I'm allergic to peanuts so they wont bring me PB flavored anything.....


The summer after my senior year of high school, one of my best friends forced me to try a small spoonful of the stuff. He was convinced that my aversion stemmed from a childhood experience. He was wrong, I barely choked down that stinking, sickening, spoonful of scum.


But this year I've vowed to try again; but I'm going to start out slowly. When I go to the grocery store later this week I'm going to buy some almond butter to eat with my apples. I think that will be a good step on the road to easing my way into tolerating the stuff. From there I'm going to work my way to things that taste like peanut butter, but don't have the consistency; like cookies. With God as my witness, by the end of this venture I'm going to eat one entire Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

I don't know if I'll ever truly enjoy peanut butter, but I'm going to give it my best effort. Please give me all the support you can in my battle to overcome this debilitating condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment