Thursday, July 26, 2012

What a Peach

I got paid to take pictures for the first time yesterday!... Well, sorta.



API's two interns, another member of the office, and I went down 'ole I-65 a ways to take pictures and video to use for the various publications that come out of our office.

I complained a lot about Montgomery when I lived there, and with good reason, but a day trip back knowing I don't have to stay for more than a few hours is was really nice.

The highlight of the trip for me, however, wasn't in the Gump at all, but a little side-trip we made on the way down.


Anyone who has ventured vertically through Alabama has probably seen the Giant Peach water tower in Chilton County. It's really hard to miss, and is one of those things about my state that is often pictured in touristy promotional materials. In my many trips to a myriad of towns between Mobile and Huntsville I had never stopped to take a picture, or see what it was all about.

I knew that Chilton County is famous for its peaches. I knew that there a peach stands of all sizes throughout the state where men in overalls and straw hats sell the fuzzy fruit. And I knew that Chilton County produces a damn good peach. But the ladies and gentleman at Headley's Big Peach reminded me of what a kind, generous, and amazing state I have the privilege to inhabit.

Sheila showing us their bean sheller
Mother and daughter owners Linda and Sheila were so excited to see the four of us walking around with our DSLRs, capturing the gorgeous Alabamacana (gonna trademark that one), that they not only gave us good conversation and a history lesson, but a basket of peaches that had literally just come in from one of their four supplying orchards; we even got to meet the straw-hatted-overall-bedecked farmer, himself.


In addition to peaches, Headley's also sells local honey, vegetables, and a few antiques. Out back they have a large watermelon patch and a field of smallish sunflowers.


Which is where I snapped my favorite picture of the whole day:


This Thursday I am thankful for peaches and for growing up in the sweetest state there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment